Thursday, February 6, 2014

An open letter to science, scoffers and Ken Ham

To Ken Ham and people who believe like that:

Denying truth and turning the Bible into a scientific record is apostasy. It is elevating a loose collection of tribal writings to the voice of the One True, which according to those same writings *ISN'T* the Bible but Christ Himself.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
Here is a pretty good write-up on the Bible as the Inerrant Word of God. The author concludes that if you cannot trust everything in the Bible from a common, historic, or scientific viewpoint, that somehow it isn't trustworthy. I say that discounts how remarkable the Bible actually is. It also misses the point of the Christian Bible entirely.

So in light of that, lets break down some simple logic:

  • Satan is the father of lies
  • Science says Bishop Ussher is wrong by using techniques that are trustworthy and true
  • Supposed Christian ministers are saying that you *must* believe in the literal account of creation, based on the wrong dates, or else <<enter your favorite "You're an apostate and I'm not" statement>
  • These ministers are insisting that you put faith in their version of history, ignoring hard evidence and facts to the contrary. That means they are insisting you believe a lie. They are promoting a lie. 
  • So, if they are promoting a lie, whose work are they actually doing?
Will I be judged by God for not believing that the scriptures are inerrant? I doubt it highly. Unless I missed that part in here somewhere?
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
To the BuzzFeed scoffers:
So, if you want to scoff at the devilish red herring, be my guest. It still does nothing to take away from the glory that is found in Christ. If you want to scoff at my belief in a risen Savior, go ahead. Just don't lump me in with the people who make a mockery of my faith through the misuses of its gifts. You might want to read a little of that book that you ridicule before you go too far. There is deep truth in it that has transformed the face of the Earth.

To Science:
Thank you for having the courage to continually fail and be wrong. Like the tendrils of an amoeba slowly feeling its way to food, you keep searching. It is too bad that you only find nuggets of food and not the source of the food. How sad for we casual observers that foolishly rush to trust the newly found nuggets, for we will eventually be left empty. We will be left with our hopes skewered on the next truth you find. No one likes to be continually wrong. Mercifully, you are oblivious to the hopes of your followers. You shun the personal connections that make us human in exchange for a refined truth. But something tells me you are missing a bigger picture due to the very nature that makes you valuable. Not everything is observable. There are often rich sources of food that we never see.

And to watch you being used to create anything is terrifying. You are the god of unintended consequences. And sadly, you lead your disciples down the road of discovery while sitting mute as to the true result of that discovery. And when, at last, the venture is run aground onto the rocky shoals of failure do we find you sitting by and leaving your ardent followers abandoned; blamed for the failure that is rightfully yours.  Never does "Science" get the blame for the countless deaths, horrible aberrations or world-changing disasters, yet there you are. You are at the heart of so much pain and suffering and for some reason people continue to throw their babies into your hands like a super-heated Baal. You offer the truth but almost never the whole truth. A partial truth is seldom a blessing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment